Friday, May 16, 2014

Day 204 - Ministry That Wears Us Out

Thoughts on Michael Wells’ teachings in My Weakness for His Strength - # 88
         
Michael’s book is available through:

Abiding Life Ministries International
Littleton, Colorado
(303) 972-0859       www.abidinglife.com


I wonder if you will get the same out of this day that I did…God has no grandchildren, and I want to be a garden hose.

Enjoy!



DAY 204

Ministry That Wears Us Out

Therefore, since we have this ministry, as we received mercy, we do not lose heart.
      II Corinthians 4:1

I remember talking to a pastor that told me that his great heart for the people had led him to fatigue and depletion. I responded, “’A great heart of compassion led me to exhaustion’ sounds so much better than saying, ‘Playing God has led to my exhaustion!’” But it was playing God that caused his malady. It is impossible to become exhausted if ministry is the flow of Jesus’ life through us to others. We are not the source of living water, life, or wisdom, but rather the channel; I cannot imagine a garden hose getting that worn out! However, when we play God we strive to become the source; we attempt to get in our child's skin and live his life, we convict our mate of carnality, we force on others the building program, and we make disciples in our own image. We must refuse to play God and rest while connected to the Source. Does this mean we just lie around like the garden hose? Yes! The Gardener will cause the flow! We are to be used as the avenue for the drink, but we are not the drink.

A friend told me of a time that his children asked him for an automobile. He replied, “Why are you asking me? Go ask the person that I have to ask when I need a car. Go ask your Father in heaven!” If we continue to play God for others there is always the risk that they will not find God for themselves. God does not have one single grandchild. Everyone must find Christ for himself. There is so much in the discipleship process that God must do, and without His activity, nothing of lasting value will happen.

I was in the north of Italy when, not being able to read Italian, I parked the car in a no-parking zone. I got out of the car and noticed an officer writing tickets. At that I put two and two together and immediately turned around, got in the car, and pulled out. Not content with that, the officer waved me over and attempted to explain that I was going to get a ticket, which I only surmised from his waving the ticket book and pen and his appearing to be detailing in Italian my offense! Really, for all I knew he was writing free passes to the circus! I, on the other hand, was pleading my defense in English. Neither of us really knew what the other was saying. In the end we both threw up our hands in frustration and walked away. If the Holy Spirit is not working in someone’s life, he simply will not be able to hear anything of our translating and interpreting what God has given us to say. “HAVING EYES, DO YOU NOT SEE? AND HAVING EARS, DO YOU NOT HEAR?” (Mark 8:18) If we have been able to hear and see, it is because of the Holy Spirit. “But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear” (Matthew 13:16). Responding to what He allows us to hear and see is a different matter, but hearing and seeing comes from Him. Trying to make a person see and hear is wearing. Simply rest, allow the years to speak against the minutes, allow the person’s life experiences to witness to Life, and stay connected to the Source. Ministry then can come through us to another. 

Yellow – VIP, Very Important Point      Green – IT, Incredible Truth        
Red – GP, Greatest Promises
Turquoise – UR, Unfathomable Riches           Pink – PV, Priceless Victory



I trust you understand I got a whole lot more than the two items I mentioned at the top!  Was just laughing so hard at Michael’s pictorial that I couldn’t pass up the opportunity!  He is just so encouraging in all he says…

Look at all the green highlights…”incredible truth.”  That is what grasped me as I have re-read this day’s writing many times.  We have some foundational application of God’s truths that will help those of us ministering and those we minister to.  And, prayerfully, we hope they will see their part in receiving what the Holy Spirit is wanting to do to work in their life.  It’s that “response to what He allows us to hear” that is so critical.

First, I need to “refuse to play God and rest while connected to the Source,” and it is comforting to know that I need to “simply rest, allow the years to speak against the minutes, allow the person’s life experiences to witness to Life, and stay connected to the Source.” 

I like this “resting” and avoiding the “exhaustion, fatigue, and depleting.”  Amen!

To access ALL past weekly blogs, go to Living Life With a Capital “C” by logging onto www.leemccm.blogspot.com 

Lee McDowell Christian Ministries
leemccm@gmail.com

P. O. Box 633244    Nacogdoches, Tx 75963                                          936-559-5696

No comments:

Post a Comment